What to Buy (Helpful Supplies)
Listed name-brand products can be found in Products & Supplies
- Appropriate cage (size and dimensions)
- Cage accessories (perches-manzanita preferred, dishes-stainless steel preferred, swing, possibly a nest)
- An extra set of perches and dishes to rotate while cleaning
- Appropriate food
- Full spectrum light source (if the cage cannot be positioned to access natural sunlight) with timer
- Nail clippers
- Styptic powder (such as "Kwik-stop")
- Deworming medication appropriate for finches (such as "Worm-out Gel")
- Coccidiostat (such as "Coccivet")
- Coffee bean grinder to help chop boiled egg with shell
- Safe calcium source (such as boiled eggshell)
- Small holding cage for transport or use as a hospital cage
- Heating pad or heat lamp
- Gatorade, unflavored pedialyte, or other appropriate source of electrolytes for finches
- Extra cages if you plan to breed--you will need a place to keep the babies
- Spray bottle with diluted bleach solution (approximately ¾ cup bleach in 1 gallon of water, a 5% solution) for cleaning nonmetal surfaces of the cage and accessories
- Bird net
- Phone number of a qualified, local, avian veterinarian
- SCATT for mites
- Hand feeding formula and needleless syringes or flat toothpicks
- Anti-protozoal medication (such as "Ronivet-S")
Has this article helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep FinchInfo.com online and growing!
: As the creator of FinchInfo.com, I take no responsibility for any mishaps which you may experience in following any advice given, nor in purchasing any products suggested. I will therefore not be liable for any consequences that arise from following any advice provided in these pages.
External sites open in a new browser. Finchinfo.com does not endorse external sites.
FinchInfo.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Proceeds will be used to help this site grow.
. No part of this page (including, but not limited to pictures, articles, advice, logo, or otherwise) may be copied or retransmitted by any means without expressed written permission from the author/creator of this page.